Tuesday, May 06, 2008

This researcher has acquired exclusive access to a private archive who wishes to remain anonymous, for teens then and especially now .........

Teenager's Lament
Originally published in April 1955 issue of the American GI Forum News Bulletin
Austin, Texas.

It was so short a time ago I was a young Lad. The world was a place of intrigue and adventure. I was going to do great things as a man. School held for me a library of knowledge and adventure and I was sure that behind each book case I would slowly step into another yardstick of manhood. My home was a place of love and understanding. A stronghold against the evils of the world. I was so ambitious. But alas! I was a dreamer. Today I am a youth, tomorrow a man. Yet I am so lost in a community of adults. I have lost sight of my goal. I have no place to go. School occupies so few of my hours. my community has failed me as a youth. I must wander in the streets as there is no recreation hall where I may meet my friends. there are no jobs for me. First because of my lack of experience; second because I am only a youth.

The recreation Hall for youth would teach me a trade. I am too big for playing in the park, I am too old for swimming in a park pool. What can I do? If I am caught wandering I am a vagrant;if I sleep, I am lazy. Can you help me? If I have no car, I am a square, yet I am a solid youth. Won't you give me a chance?

I am the one who will help you run your community. Won't you give me a back-log of knowledge so that I may do the job right? Won't you help me become a responsible citizen so that I too can be proud? Won't you give me a fulfilled dream to hand to my children?

Please, won't you help? I am only a youth and the world is before me.

~~~~~~~This short article was submitted by Mrs. Ann Dominguez of Pueblo, Colorado, who is herself an ex-teenager. It is reprinted to show the value of the Junior GI Forums in giving young people the backlog of knowledge which will prepare them for adulthood.